Tech Tip
This week's blog is a little different as I have a slide show that my classmates and I did talking about mental health and various disorders that are seen in children and how it affects them. About one in five children in the United States shows signs of mental health disorders (Anderson, 2016). In every school, there are many people that play a big role in seeing these problems and finding solutions but it’s easier said than done. Unfortunately, there is little to no training and not many schools have enough counselors. It would be ideal to bring in counselors and training for teachers to help children succeed. Teachers see their students every day for a decent amount of time too and could spot sudden changes in the child’s behavior and body
language. In order to see change everyone in the school must play their part and create a school environment of safety and ensure mental health isn’t stigmatized. The disorder I chose for my slide was Dissociative Disorder which is characterized by an involuntary escape from reality characterized by a disconnection between thoughts, identity, consciousness, and memory.
References
Anderson, M. (2016). Here's how schools can support students' mental health. NPREd.
Conditions. (n.d.). National Alliance on Mental Health.
International Society for the Study of Trauma and Disassociation. Prepared by ISSPD‘s Child and AdolescentTaskforce.
https://www.isst-d.org/resources/faqs-for-teachers/
Nadworny, E. & Drummond, S. (2016). A silent epidemic. National Public Radio.

ReplyDeleteHey Cyann, throughout reading your blog post and presentation, it becomes very clear where you stand on the topic of mental health and the issues that come along with it. I think your presentation on Dissociative Disorder was well organized, and full of important information.I enjoyed how you incorporated your own opinion on the importance of mental health into both your blog post and presentation.I personally never heard of Dissociative Disorder, but have now learned of the importance of being able to recognize it as an educator. As you said in your post “It’s best to make sure your kids are safe and well and as hard and upsetting it may be the better it is to say something and help the child further succeed”, I personally would rather say something and be wrong then not say anything and have a child actually be going through a serious issue. I think as educators we need to educate ourselves on the importance of mental health and how to improve the mental health of our students.